Monday, October 17, 2011

What to do when you have a bad weekend


I think that we might put a few too many expectations on the weekend. The weekend is what we often live for. We base how we feel about each day off of it's relationship with the upcoming weekend and once we reach the weekend, we expect it to make up for the long, hard week we've just had. I think this is unfair to both the weekday and the weekend. The weekday can't help that it's surrounded by other weekdays and overrun with school and work, so let's not blame it. (even though we desperately want to)

My main thought, however, lies in the weekend. We are being unfair to these days, or at least I am. I rely so heavily on the rejuvenating prospect of a few days off, that when those days don't measure up to what I expect them to be, I'm devastated. Let me try to portray why my expectations are ruining me.

My expectations for the weekend:
8 hours of study
7 hours of social gatherings
18 hours of sleep
5 hours of hiking
2 hours of cleaning
4 hours of baking
5 hours of catch up with friends
2 hours of testing
3 hours of dating
1 hour of talking with my family
5 hours of football
3 hours of shopping

For a grand total of 63 hours

Actual hours I can spend doing these things:
Friday: 7 hours
Saturday: 24 hours

Total of 31 hours

The weekend has 31 hours to offer me. I don't count Sunday because most of the things I want to do on the weekend I choose not to do on the sabbath. No matter how I try, I cannot get 63 out of 31. And when I can't do that, I begin my weekdays feeling low, unaccomplished, and unprepared. Then I hate the weekdays because I feel that way.

So what do you do when you have a bad weekend? Well, you look forward to the next one. I mean, it's the weekend after all...


No comments:

Post a Comment