Wednesday, December 21, 2011

GROUPME

So I have these friends... please, refrain from expressing your surprise at this statement.


They reside in Provo most months of the year. Unfortunately this month of the year is not one of those months. They've all gone to the different parts of the west to see family and celebrate the Christmas season from the comfort of their homes. I don't blame them.

But I do miss them.

Fortunately for me a brilliant system has been established that allows me to be connected to each of these people all at once. The solution's name is Groupme. Through this website friends can be put into groups and assigned a new, group number. When members text this number, all people within the group receive the text and have the opportunity to respond. These responses can be seen by all members of the group and the cycle continues on in an uplifting and entertaining manner.

I've grown up with this type of technology and often take for granted how sincerely AWESOME it is. I mean, I can watch an entertaining video on youtube, send it through instant chat to someone in a different state, type a message to a friend in Europe, get her response 5 minutes later, all while reading an email from a missionary in Tahiti. Then I can take a video of a percussion ensemble performance, have my roommate in Arizona watch it while I order a present online from a company miles away. Just stop and think about that.

...

...

Have you thought about it? It's incredible.

So I miss my friends and look forward to seeing them again, but until then I'll stay connected to them and enjoy the jewels of wit that come my way via text.

Groupme: keeping people together has never been so entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment