Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Competitive Conversations

We've all been apart of them, whether we are the ones attacking or the ones suffering from the attack. In my opinion, competitive conversations are a waste of words. Conversations should be informative with both, or all, participants benefiting and growing from the knowledge presented by the other(s). You leave those conversations feeling ponderous and informed. You leave competitive conversations feeling ticked off, stupid, or put down. It's not a pleasant feeling.

Lately, I feel as if I've been a regular participant in these combative conversations. Perhaps I'm being too sensitive, (it wouldn't be the first time) but I feel as if everything I mention is shot down, every experience I share is one upped, and every opinion I have is diagnosed as wrong and forcefully tried to be changed. I think that Brian Regan illustrates my point quite perfectly...



Humorous, yes, I know. It IS funny, but that's because it's true.Sadly, it's true.

I suggest that we all try a little harder to be more aware of our conversations. Are we dominating the battle field? Are we slaughtering our opponents by "one upping" or discounting others' experiences? If someone expresses an idea, listen and think about what they've brought up. Conversation is half talking, and half listening. 50% is a failing grade people.

I know that when I have taken the time to participate in a conversation that wasn't a battle I learned a lot. Some of my questions were answered while others were posed. We were both journeying through our topic of discussion and doing so with the help of the other. I left with a newfound respect for my comrade in conversation.

So people, put down your arms, or at least pretend to, because I don't think I'll make it through another conversation like the ones I've experienced lately.

What do you think? I'd like to listen...

No comments:

Post a Comment