Sunday, April 1, 2012

Something smells...


Things happen that offend and hurt. They leave you confused and wondering at the actions and intent of the people around you. These things can make you feel foolish and vulnerable and in a last attempt at preserving whatever dignity you feel you have left, you desperately grab at any imperfection you can find (or imagine) in the person that has wronged you. After grabbing onto this perceived or made up imperfection you hold it tight and revisit it often in order to convince yourself that your feelings of bitterness are justified. And all along the way people tell you that you are entitled to feel this way. All along the way you tell yourself that you are entitled to feel this way. You are entitled to harbor resent, malice, hurt, confusion, and disdain verging on the point of hatred.

It’s ok to feel this way.
You’re entitled to it.

The more I think about this the more unattractive such an option seems to me. It’s like saying, “You’ve been sprayed by the putrid smelling stink from this skunk. I’m so sorry. So here, take this skunk - that has now been run over by a car - tie it to a stick and carry it in front of your face for the rest of your life so that your vision will always be impaired and you will continue to smell its wonderful scent. You’re entitled to it.”

No. 

I’m entitled to learn and to grow. I’m entitled to work at bettering myself and feeling whole. I’m entitled to recognize and be grateful for all the beautiful things and people that surround me. I’m entitled to forgive and be friendly. I’m entitled to take a tomato juice bath to get rid of the stink on my body and to then throw the skunk of resentment far, far away.

And then, after the skunk as been disposed of, I’m left with restored vision and smell. I’m left with the knowledge of how to deal with hurtful situations and come out on the other side better than I previously was. I’m left with friends instead of enemies - the closest of those friends being myself. I’m left with a renewed understanding of the divine, tender, and personal power of my Savior to carry me through.

Life is good, so get rid of the skunk that might be blocking your vision and witness it for yourself. It will take work, but you’re entitled to it.


This says it all much better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment