Monday, November 4, 2013

ukrainian remedies


Ukrainians have a variety of remedies for different physical ailments. It has been an adventure to learn of them, let me assure you. When my stomach wasn't feeling quite right about a month ago babushka had me lie down with my shirt pulled up while she massaged my stomach. The head coordinator here heard me cough and demanded I go home and drink a mug of warm milk, honey, and butter. unfortunately i just didn't manage to try that one out. About 15 minutes ago my host mom insisted I do a sort of dance thing with violent breathing in order to clear up my lungs. Between the twisting of my torso, flipping of my hair, attempts to breathe at the right time and with accurate force, I ended up just bent over laughing/hacking up a lung, which seemed to please my host mom.

You wish you would have seen it.

On a different note, I've had fun looking through some of my photos from my week spent in Bulgaria. I apologize to all those who are friends with me on facebook and have had their feeds blown up with my face. Except for I'm not actually sorry because dang those pictures are fun. And just so you know, I haven't even posted any of mine, so just buckle up.

But today I'm not posting any from the trip. A popular day activity for the younger generation here in Ukraine is to take portrait style pictures. And I mean heck, I have a camera and a member of the younger generation right here in my Ukrainian home. A photo shoot was inevitable.





I told her to look American.
I have taught her well.


And then the camera was turned on me and I didn't know what to do.
So I rocked the backpack like a full on 7 year old.




This is me trying to look more Ukrainian.
When my host mom saw this she said, "Maybe better if you stay American."
I hear ya momma.



Life here is great, even if going back to teaching after adventuring through Europe is super dang hard. At least one of the little girls brought me a flower today. Can you say "hashtag precious?"

peace and piano lessons
i'm helping my 8 year old host sister understand that looking at the music helps you know what to play. #mindblowing

rrw





No comments:

Post a Comment