Wednesday, November 2, 2022

No Stuff November

 
Welcome to the documentation of my attempt to purge my home and force myself to be creative. It's gonna be a good time.

Now, let me just preface this by saying I am not a minimalist, nor am a maximalist read hoarder but I am the product of two very frugal and prepared families. If something has the potential to be reused, for whatever reason, I hold on to it because you never know. Will I suddenly find the time and motivation to embroider our Christmas stockings after 7 years? MAYBE. Am I going to find myself in dire need of 5 old, currently-not-working analog watches? I MIGHT. Who knows, maybe I'll suddenly have an identity makeover and actually use more than 4 items of makeup. IT COULD HAPPEN. 

As you can assume, I have a lot of things that I don't need. 

Hence the self-proclaimed No Stuff November. Each day I will be addressing some area of my home and seeing how many things I can say goodbye too. I think we often hold on to things because letting go feels like forgetting a memory, so instead I will be documenting those memories here, then letting the stuff go.




On the first day of No Stuff November I decided to relinquish two old picture frames we used in our wedding. They were on sale from Pottery Barn because they had someone else's name engraved on them which we covered with sticky tape. In addition I am getting rid of 4 picture frame stands I bought for Winnie's blessing day and have never used again, a cute wooden bead garland that I've never been able to hang on a mantel, 4 Halloween candle holders that I bought from the dollar section of target when we were in the midst of our poor, poor law student life, a binder notebook that I got in order to look professional and prepared in my job interviews in Minneapolis, a yarn holder gifted to me by an old roommate and 4 skeins of yarn which I accept will never become cute knitted booties. and breathe. 

I also decided to try to sell 3 Willow Tree figurines which are completely sweet but not quite my style, along with a very decent bluetooth speaker that has played many a Grateful Dead tune.

These blogs will not be my most creative or edited writing, but in addition to cleaning out my home I'm hoping I can clear out some creative blocks, dust off my brain, and get back in the game. 

body count to date: 21


peace and way way way too much Halloween
rrww





No comments:

Post a Comment