Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Give a little bit

One of the many things that I love about BYU is the abundance of blood drives that come to campus. I never have to wait long for the next one to arrive. In fact, there are so many that I have had to skip a few due to the 8 week time period between donations. (I found out the embarrassing way that you cannot give blood sooner than 8 weeks after your previous donation) I never thought that I would be one to really want to give blood. Anyone who knows me at all can verify the fact that I cringe at the word "blood" and hate talking about anything to do with surgery, anatomy, or bodily functions. Ughhh, in fact, I'm feeling a little woozy as I type...

Don't get me wrong, the body is a fascinating thing that I am very grateful for and amazed by, but when you have two older siblings who are EMTs, a roommate who is taking anatomy, friends who love to discuss terrible accidents during dinner, and a family who purposefully talks about "blood," "tendons," and "cartilage" just to see you squirm, you might shy away from such a topic. Thus, I surprise myself at my willingness and enthusiasm to let strangers stick me with needles and draw life giving liquid from my body.

I guess it goes back to my senior year, which was the first time I gave blood. I was apprehensive and nervous and confided those feelings in my friends. One of my friends reacted in a way I did not expect. She stared at me and said "Rachel, you are one of my heroes." I was very taken aback by such a proclamation and didn't quite know what to say. This friend of mine went on to explain that her little sister and been diagnosed with cancer at a young age and had gone in and out of remission 3 times. My friend said that it was only because of blood transfusions that her little sister had been able to spend so much more time with her family here on this earth. My friend sincerely thanked me for what I was about to do and as I went to give blood I felt less apprehension and fear. Instead, I was thinking of this little girl who had blessed so many lives, including my own, and how my actions might be able to help another person in need.

Watching fake hospital shows makes me squirm. Talking about "incisions," "scalpels," and "needles" makes me cringe. I understand the worry that some may have to donate blood. I feel your anxiety. But I also know that by giving of a few minutes of your time you are giving someone else even more time with their loved ones. You may be uncomfortable for a small moment, but you are letting someone else experience comfort for much longer.


Give a little bit.







1 comment:

  1. Rachel, you simply are amazing. I know from exprience just how much you squirm when you see or someone mentions you-know-what, yet you donate blood anyways. You are such an example to me. If you, one of the few people I know who cannot Stand even the thought of blood, can donate, then so can I. Needles make me cringe, but perhaps you just gave me a new perspective on the importance and selflessness of donating blood. I love you, Rachel! You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete