Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Dear Caroline

How do you do it? Not only do it, but enjoy it too?

You can take credit for my enrollment in this jogging class. I signed up for it because you love to run. I thought that it would be fun to get some exercise and see what the big deal was. I've gotten the exercise but I'm still waiting for the moment of epiphany when I just love running and never want to stop...like you. Right now all I feel is pain. Pain while I run, pain while I sit, pain when I walk, pain as I type. (Ok, not really on the last one. Running doesn't hurt my fingers. I was just trying to make a point, and that point is PAIN)

So, my question for you is this (as well as all runners who might read this): did you go through this period of pain before you just loved running or is this a personal sign that I should give up all exercise and just lay in bed all day?

Currently, I'm leaning toward the latter of the two.

Anyway, Caroline, I'm really trying here. I'll keep going too, but that marathon is going to have to wait... for a few years. Like, until the time when they invent something that can run the marathon for you and still give you the satisfied feeling, burned calories, and toned leg muscles. When that happens, I'll totally run with you.

Until then,
ouch.

2 comments:

  1. Rachel! Hang in there. It definitely is hardest at first. But I promise it gets better. You'll be less sore soon. (and yes. I did definitely go through a period of pain it was always the first week or so of the season and I'd almost quit each time. . . but it got better and I love running!) :) miss seeing you all the time rach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't run. Unless I am late to work.

    ReplyDelete