Friday, May 13, 2011

Is it just me?

I've had this problem ever since elementary school. I wonder if it is just me, or if other people have had similar situations. Perhaps it is my demeanor, my countenance, the first impression I give to people. Maybe I have unknowingly committed some foul misdemeanor which has sentenced me to, what seems like, a life long trial.

My problem is THE SECRETARY.

I realize that this may sound extremely ironic, seeing as I AM a secretary, but please, hear me out.

It started in elementary school. I admit that I was a suck up to the teachers, the recess duty, the lunch lady, and just about every other adult around school. I wanted to be well-liked and accepted by those who, at the time, were some of the most powerful people in my life. Hence, the suck up. But there was always that one person who, no matter how much I thanked them, smiled at them, and waited patiently for, never gave me the time of day. In fact, that secretary in the Canyon Rim office went out of her way to ignore me. Given, I was an annoying 5-12 year old, but I really tried with her. I would enter the office and wait patiently for her to end her phone call with her friend, look up from her book, or stop gossiping about the horrible behavior of the students with the other lady in the office. She would never acknowledge me. It killed me. It still does just remembering it today.

Wasatch Jr. High, same story.

Skyline High School, same story.

Brigham Young University....

SAME STORY.

I can see why a middle aged woman might not really want to try to help a teenager out, but now? Ok, I'm not much older and maybe still as annoying, but I'm trying to get something done and you, yes you, Mrs. 46 Year Old Secretary Sipping a Jamba and Shopping Online While Ignoring Me, are not helping me out. We're students, yes. We are young adults, not complete adults, but it's because of that fat check called "tuition" that we give to the ASB each semester that you even have a paying job.

So please, treat me like a human being. I promise to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment