Thursday, October 18, 2012

to the boys



today i got yelled at by a man.
he used foul language and offensive hand gestures.
he stopped his silver pickup truck right in front of me so i couldn't leave, rolled down his window, and let the insults and degradation flow.
it hurt.

i've never experienced this before.
and i realized how grateful i am that i hadn't.
i'm grateful for the men in my life.
they are respectful, kind, funny, caring, gentle, and strong.
they are my dad, my grandpas, my brother, my brother-in-law, my uncles, my cousins, my friends, my home teachers, my bishops, my classmates, my coworkers, my neighbors.

these are men.
not that person in the pickup truck.

boys, please don't let yourself ever become that.

"Fathers, single adults, leaders, home teachers—be worthy models and help the rising generation of boys become men. Teach them social and other skills: how to participate in a conversation, how to get acquainted and interact with others, how to relate to women and girls, how to serve, how to be active and enjoy recreation, how to pursue hobbies without becoming addicted, how to correct mistakes and make better choices"

-Elder D. Todd Christofferson


1 comment:

  1. Where is the like button? Way to take a negative experience and see the positive.

    ReplyDelete