Wednesday, March 6, 2013

call me vain


When people tell me that they have committed to simplifying their lives I think, "That would be a nice thing to do," because I'm convinced they mean they are eliminating personal drama by changing either their outlook on life or specific personality traits. They must be committing to eating only things that can be nuked in the microwave for a minute and a half before consuming (that's my kind of simple) or constructing a daily schedule that flows and is...simple.

I haven't really thought that my life needs any sort of simplifying. I kind of just do what I want. Fortunately the things I want to do don't often result in drama or complications. I mean, if I wanted to eat all my roommates' food, then we might have a problem. on further thought, that is a terrible example because really i do want to eat all my roommates food, but have learned that such actions are frowned upon. so...let's try that again. I mean, if I wanted to crash my car into all the other cars and treat University Avenue like the newest bumper car attraction, then the result would be drama and complication. other results would probably include blood, shattered glass, family rejection, 0 friends, and jail. 
as i said, complication.

So the fact that I want to go hiking/skiing, read about familial theology, wear sandals, take a thousand pictures, watch Lion King, and eat chicken pot pies isn't usually a problem. unless you're a chicken. in which case, i apologize. talk to marie calendar.

But this past weekend I noticed that I was doing a few things that I didn't want to do anymore. These things weren't resulting in any tremendous amount of drama, but they were making me feel a little bit...socialized. So, in the spirit of simplification, I will be attempting to do the following. i use the word "attempting" because man, social expectations are strong and basically... i am weaksauce.

no really, anything over mild flavored sauce makes me cry.

*grow my bangs out: With this I send out a preemptive apology to the universe for the next 3 and a half months of my life. We're all aware of this awkward stage. I am very aware, having gone through the process once already. But...I just don't want to have to straighten my hair everyday anymore. can i get a hear hear! from...anyone?

*limit makeup usage: A friend saw me without makeup on the other day and basically thought I looked like a different person. i have invisible eyelashes, what can i do? I then realized that I don't want my actual face to be unknown to people. I also realized that 15-20 minutes were being washed down the drain everyday. Literally. All of a sudden the thought of putting makeup on became completely exhausting. don't think i'm going all crazy natural here. i'll still use it. 
basically what i'm saying is eyeliner is for special occasions. so if i'm wearing it in your presence, congrats. i think you're special.

*keep my nails trimmed: I'm sick of trying to keep them perfectly rounded and clean. More often than not they chip and I become personally offended.

*"wear it if i want": Within reason, I will do my best to wear the things I want. If those shoes are comfortable and that sweater is too, who cares if one is brown and the other gray? Seriously, it's not the end of the world.

*not listen to music at every possible moment: Since I got my new, sweet phone I realized I was spending more and more time with earbuds in or speakers on. Walking to campus was suddenly a chore that only my Brandon Flowers station on Pandora could make better. Projects at work needed background music. I needed to be serenaded to sleep. For now I'm just going to try listening to my surroundings. i mean, the hills are alive right?





i apparently think that physical appearance is one of the most complicated aspects of my life. #callmevain
actually, i know that physical appearance is the most complicated aspect of my life.
i mean, putting pants on every morning almost drives me to tears.
tell me that's not true of us all though.

And just because I can, here are some more pictures.



st mary's falls
glacier national park
50'







typical













peace and pot pies
rrw





No comments:

Post a Comment