Sunday, December 1, 2013

power of the people


A little over a month ago I was extremely fortunate to attend the World Cup qualifying soccer match between Ukraine and France. This was THE game to be at and there I was, a little American girl who had never lived outside of Utah, sitting with my host dad and his buddies along with the thousands of Ukrainians that filled the stadium. I stood and listened with awe as a 70,000 voice choir of Ukrainians gave the the loudest, proudest rendition of a national anthem I have ever heard. It was maybe the most intimidating and impressive encounter I've yet to witness.

And then, during the second half, we scored.
Twice.

I was enveloped in a Ukrainian bear hug of grown men and lifted up off my feet. Beverages, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic (but mostly alcoholic) were flung through the air. Sunflower seeds rained from the sky and canons went off while the colors yellow and blue filled every angle of vision. It was in this moment, when I was literally embraced by Ukraine, that I realized just how much I love this country.

This last week has been an upsetting one in the world of Ukrainian politics. The president, Viktor Yanukovych, did as selfish, corrupt people do and refused to sign trade agreements with the European Union, despite the fact that the vast majority of Ukrainian citizens are desperate to build such bridges with the EU. Yanukovych has said that Ukraine cannot afford to lose ties with Russia at this time. Translated, that means that Vladimir Putin, the president of Russia, wants Ukraine back under his jurisdiction and will pay Yanukovych a heck of a lot of gryvna to keep it that way.

Ukraine has been an independent country for the same amount of time I have been alive. The older generation here remembers living under the Soviet Union and participating in the vote for independence in 1991. I can see how hard they have worked and continue to work by their worn faces and callused hands. They've lived with struggles and unfairness that I've only ever seen in movies. That I've paid to view as a form of entertainment.

And their struggles continue.

Right now, as I type, over 300,000 people are occupying the center of Kiev in protest to the actions of the government. These protests have been going all week. Yesterday, early in the morning, the police were sent to beat up and break up the protesters. Obviously they had little success.

All I want to do is go and be with these people who are standing up for themselves and their country. I want to wave my Ukrainian flag and add my voice to the chant "This is not for us. This is for our children!" that is the mantra of the mob. I want to be a part of this event that is so much bigger than myself.

But I can't. There are too many people, governments and organizations telling me that to do so would be stupid. The only one I'm really listening to is my mom back in America though.

I hope the people here realize what they can do. I hope they understand the impact their actions, choices, and voices can make. They've certainly impacted me. They've helped me in the grocery store, translated for me in the marshrutkas, pointed me in the direction of the metro, and carried my luggage up stairs. They are good, caring people who are proud of their independence.

That night I heard them singing their national anthem with hands to their chests was the night I realized just how real the power of the people can be. And these people? They have power. They are Ukrainian.

украинский слава!
rrw






1 comment: