Friday, December 13, 2013

rachel: an analysis


Today was rough. I cried. And probably scared all the little children because suddenly Ms. Waychel had black tears coming out of her eyes. Good note to end on right? I thought so.

I head back to America in 2 days and 9 hours. Or something like that, depending on what time zone we're working with. But I've been spending a lot of time lately thinking about how my experience in Ukraine has changed me and what I've learned here. And because this is a personal blog in which to share personal things I'm going to expound on my personal thoughts on the matter. Prepare yourself.


The picture on the left was the last time I was in America. It was 5 in the morning and I had been crying. 
The picture on the right was today in Ukraine. It was 1 in the afternoon and I had been crying.

Let's call them pre and post Ukraine Rachel. (A heads up- there's going to be a lot of 3rd person in this post.) 
And we begin.

*******
Pre-Ukraine Rachel was slightly scared of public transportation. Especially the kind that takes place underground. Post-Ukraine Rachel feels so comfortable on the metro that she often nods off and misses her exit station.

Pre-Ukraine Rachel liked to shave almost every day. Post-Ukraine Rachel wonders why the heck she used to do that.

Pre-Ukraine Rachel rarely ever, EVER ate fish. Post-Ukraine Rachel eats it for breakfast and isn't even phased by having to pull the bones out of her teeth because I mean, who needs a previously de-boned fish? Gollum sure didn't. And look how he turned...nevermind.

Pre-Ukraine Rachel had a huge incision and stitches all up in her lip. Post-Ukraine Rachel's lips have never been better. #winkyface

Pre-Ukraine Rachel didn't speak Russian. Post-Ukraine Rachel doesn't either.

Pre-Ukraine Rachel had about 700 photos of herself on facebook. Post-Ukraine Rachel has 1,364. 

Pre-Ukraine Rachel never really cared for ballet. Post-Ukraine Rachel has decided that her children will study ballet from the time they can walk and she will be the crazy mom who lives vicariously through her children.

Pre-Ukraine Rachel stomped her feet on the mat at the door and called it good. Post-Ukraine Rachel cannot enter a home without taking her shoes off.

Pre-Ukraine Rachel thought she liked chocolate. Post-Ukraine Rachel realizes she had been living in the dark for far too long.

Pre-Ukraine Rachel had never had alcohol before...



peace and alcohol filled chocolates.
i didn't realize until after i had one! i swear! the word of wisdom is true.

rrw





1 comment:

  1. I need a signature way to end my blogs like you have. Its so tempting to steal yours but it just wouldn't be as cool coming from me. Slash it'd be lame to steal from you. I need my own Just Jannette thing hahaha. I'll have to get to thinking!

    ReplyDelete