Monday, December 9, 2013

souvenirs


Souvenir shopping is maybe one of the most stressful things I have ever participated in. I mean, you spend 3 months in a place having life changing experiences and meeting some of the best people in the world and then you're supposed to go buy a trinket of some sort, that has to fit in a carry-on and weigh less than a loaf of bread, to remember everything by? It's ridiculous! I can't stand for it! I'm going to start a protest! (sorry. the whole protest thing is kind of in my system right now)

But still. I go and roam the streets in the snow with the wind blowing and the air so cold my fingers start to swell because dang it that key chain made of meat is going to remind me of my love for Ukraine.

No. Like, it actually would.

So now I have a little pile of treats, toys, and fur sitting next to my bed. i swear it's not the easter bunny. I'm seriously considering moving them to the foot of the bed just so that when I wake up every morning I feel like I'm in a Hogwarts Christmas. I'm not going to tell you what I've got because some of them might be surprises for some of you. Aka Cooper. My adorable baby nephew. Who, now that I'm thinking about it, probably isn't reading this. Oh well.

Instead, I'm going to list a few of the things I wish I could bring home as souvenirs, but can't because airplanes aren't big enough and I'd be arrested for kidnapping. Or something lame like that.

1. My kids. They tease and smile and sing and shout and wrap their hands in my hair and show me their little toys and jump for joy when we pull out stickers. They hug my legs and hold my hands and sit on my knees and lay in my lap. I almost started crying while we were singing BINGO because it hit me that I'm leaving them soon. I don't want to. Don't make me.





2. The metro/marshrutkas. Public transportation was probably one of my biggest worries coming to Kiev. Because let's face it, it doesn't exist in Utah. Or...I've just never used it in Utah. Anyway, these modes of transportation are fun. Whether it's listening to someone play the accordion, eliminating all sense of personal space with complete strangers, having someone try to sell you glue, or making awkward eye contact with that man 14 times because you just have no where else to look, it's an adventure. This is where you see the people. It's completely fascinating.

3. My host family's potato shredder. Seriously. It means business and I love it.

4. The windows. They are ingenious and I have no idea how they work, but depending on how you turn the handle, they either open like a door or from the top like the little slot you drop your library books in to return them. I know I did such a great job explaining that so I guess I don't need to bring one back for you to see anymore. Well done Rach.

5. The towel rack. It's this set of metal bars with hot water running through them so your towel is warm when you go to use it. I also use it to dry my socks.

6. 50 cent ice cream cones from McDonald's that take more than half a breath to eat.

7. Actually, just McDonald's in general. I'm not kidding you when I say that they are nicer than a sit down restaurant in America. It is the place for all the classiest people to be. So obviously I'm there regularly. not really. don't judge me.

8. Spray-on deodorant. Oh wait. I am bringing that home.

9. My kids. mykids mykids mykids.




peace and butter.
that's better here too.

rrw




No comments:

Post a Comment