Monday, June 27, 2011

check

As I drove back up to Salt Lake Friday night, I was listening to the radio and thinking about what the weekend held for me. I was driving back home for several reasons. Sunday I had the farewells of two of my oldest friends. We grew up on the same street and have known each other since preschool so there was no chance I was missing those talks. My little cousin was baptized on Sunday and being there and spending time with my family is always a blessing. Saturday was what was most prevalent in my mind however and as I contemplated the next 24 hours of my life, this song started to play on good ol' 99.5.




Please don't think that I am dying. I feel quite healthy. But what struck me as ironic about this song playing is that I was going skydiving the very next morning.

Yep. I did it. And it was a blast.

I wasn't quite as nervous as I thought I was going to be. Given that ascending to the proper altitude of 13,000 ft was a little bit of an anxious time, when they opened up the door of the plane and I got to look down over the landscape below, I didn't feel very scared. Just excited. The ground was so far away that it didn't seem like crashing into it would even be a problem. Plus I trusted the nice stranger strapped to my back.

We free fell for about 60 seconds and then parachuted down the rest of the way which was about another 2 minutes. We did some swirls/loops while coming down and then came in for a perfectly smooth landing. Annie also scored a 10 on her landing but my dad and Spencer didn't do so hot.

As I look back on the experience I've made quite a few correlations to doctrinal teachings and lessons, but I'll save those for another time. Right now I'm just going to revel in the fact that I have one more thing checked off my "To Do in Summer" list.

That list should be making an appearance next blog post.


...."I went skydiving, I went Rocky Mountain climbing..."


Hope that's stuck in your head for the rest of the day and that you think of me every time you sing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment