Monday, June 20, 2011

June 20th is a great day

Dear Mom,

You do so much for me and our family that making this list has been easy. But, in honor of tradition, I was limited to the number I could put up. Here are 51 things that I love about you:
  1. You brought me and my siblings into this world
  2. You are active in the community
  3. You took me to the naturescape at Canyon Rim to weed many times throughout my childhood
  4. You tease me but I always know you do it out of love (you do, right?)
  5. You are an example of humility
  6. You are known throughout the neighborhood
  7. You've given me someone to brag about (I'm still working on the humility thing)
  8. You put Art Festivals on every year at school which benefit hundreds of people
  9. You are a teacher that the kids love (I've seen some of the notes)
  10. You are up for adventure when most moms would choose to sit out
  11. You can't jump on the tramp but sometimes you would anyway
  12. You let me experience a little bit of danger (babysitters would never let me)
  13. You always made sure I was safe though
  14. You made me lunches everyday throughout my elementary school
  15. You would occasionally surprise me with a gourmet lunch in junior/high school. I was always much more excited for lunch when I had an extra heavy lunch sack
  16. You have taught me to not judge others and always try to see things from a different perspective
  17. You brought me dinner when I would be babysitting late
  18. You have helped me write quite a few papers (I specifically remember one about a submarine that I was very proud of)
  19. You have a sort of obsession with submarine movies (Das Boot and Hunt for Red October)
  20. You beat me in ping-pong on a regular basis (I don't love getting beat but I love that you can do that)
  21. You like to prank people and have an excellent sense of timing and humor. The pranks are also very clever
  22. You know how to teach Relief Society lessons with the Spirit and are consistently finding new and interesting ways of presenting material
  23. You'll often hide behind a wall to jump out and scare Dad
  24. You hide candy bars around the house so that we won't eat them. It's always fun to find them in odd places
  25. You have your specific TV shows that you must watch (Project Runway and Hoarders)
  26. You decorate our house so that it looks like something that could be featured in a magazine
  27. You know exactly what flowers will look good where in the yard
  28. You have pretty, big, blue eyes (Don't listen to your students)
  29. You always make delicious dinners and have cool table settings to boot
  30. You always make our home a welcoming place to both frequent faces and new visitors
  31. You know how to come up with awesome baby/wedding shower games
  32. You helped me realize at a young age the blessing that living in this country is by giving me extra lessons outside of school on the Revolutionary War  
  33. You've been lovingly realistic with me and helped me get through hard times at school
  34. You used to braid Rebecca's, Caroline's and my hair every summer. But not a normal braid. The little braids that covered our head like the kind we got in Mexico
  35. You always accepted the ugly bouquets I would pick for you out in the sagebrush at Hebgen
  36. You laughed so hard with me when we were hiking back down Halfdome and realized we were barely moving while hiking through the sand at a slight incline (Remember?)
  37. You've always wanted a house in the country and have been diligent in making that desire a reality (Now we get to benefit from fun weekends spent there)
  38. You would take us on drives in the country on Sunday afternoons
  39. You helped me realize that reading a good book was sometimes more enjoyable than watching hours of TV
  40. You took me on a walk about 5 years ago in St. George and we just talked
  41. You're always up for talking and continue to answer the phone when I call, even though it's probably rough to listen to me complain about work
  42. You urged me to practice playing the piano, a talent I'm very grateful to have
  43. You'll sometimes just want to watch movie after movie (usually on the holidays)
  44. You sometimes choose movies that we can laugh about later (Legend of the Gaurdians: Owls of Ga'hoole anyone?)
  45. You often surprise me with articles of clothing when I come home for a weekend
  46. You have excellent style and good taste in your purchases. You take the time to get something that you really think someone will like, and they more often than not do like it
  47. You've put up with kids that don't know anything but think they know everything
  48. You love your parents and are close with your siblings
  49. You love Spencer, Rebecca, Caroline and me and show it every day through the sacrifices you make. Most of which we don't even see or realize
  50. You married Dad
  51. You are my mom
I love you very much and couldn't have been placed in a better family with a more loving and caring mother. Happy birthday. Thanks for being my mom.




No comments:

Post a Comment