Monday, March 14, 2011

Aloe Vera for the Soul

Yesterday was a great day. After stake conference (which I was unexpectedly called upon to speak in) a big group of my friends all went out on the grass hill near our buildings. We sat there, chatting, snacking, and playing games for a good 5 hours. It was grand.

As the day went on, however, we realized that something was happening. Our once pasty white skin was rapidly turning pink, red, and in some cases, purple. As the night progressed I was overcome with chills, headaches, and the sensation of my flesh being on fire. (Dramatic yes, but I assure you it was uncomfortable) That's when the Aloe Vera was busted out.



As I applied this soothing balm to my battered skin, the feeling of relief was instantaneous and thorough. I sat there, considering my history with sunburns and marveling at how dumb I am. Every year I think that I somehow am stronger than the sun. Every year I burn. Every year I apply gallons of Aloe Vera. Every year it soothes my pain.

The Atonement of Jesus Christ is the same way, except it is not a once a year thing. It is constant. As I consistently fall, make wrong choices, and struggle through challenges- as I consistently think that I am stronger than I really am and consistently allow myself to be burned by the fiery darts of the adversary, Christ is consistently there to sooth my injuries. His Atonement allows Him to understand completely the pain of my physical sunburn and, more importantly, my spiritual burns. And, like Aloe Vera, He applies the balm of love, compassion, support and strength in order to sooth my injuries.

I am so grateful.

To read more on the healing power of the Atonement go here:
The Healer's Art

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, you amaze me at how you can relate anything to something spiritual. you have such an open mind to the things and people around you. i'm so glad that i get to be one of your roomates- you have no idea how much you have influenced my life for the better. i love you!

    ReplyDelete