Friday, March 25, 2011

Hello, my name is Hypocrite.

I apologize in advance. I know that I have previously written about how we should look for the good in our less than optimal days-and I still believe that we should. Sometimes though, days are rough. Is it ok if I admit that? Is it ok if I talk about how this day has been rough? If not, please go to a happier page where you won't have to read the words of a hypocrite. I might suggest this website. Or this one. If it is ok, then you may stay on this page.

This morning I left for work wearing a jacket, flip-flops, and capris. It was a little bit chilly but nothing that I couldn't handle. (This information will be useful later on) When I got to work there was a list of transcriptions that STILL needed to be done. We've been working on these things for about 2 weeks now, and I swear they're going to be the death of me.

  • Transcription: the process of listening to people talk about boring things during interviews and typing up everything they say. Often these people have irritating voices and certain phrases they say over and over and over that sometimes drive the listener crazy. In order to get every word down, the listener/typer/SECRETARY must slow down the voices to the point that they sound like robots, which only makes the listening experiences that much more enjoyable.

I decided I was just going to get through one of the interviews. I seemed to be the only one working on them, so I was just going to get a big chunk of them done and never have to listen to Marene, Jimmy, Jerry, or Lisa ever again.

Two and a half hours later, I pressed the rewind button for the 753rd time, and disaster struck. All the work I had done suddenly disappeared. I had 3 minutes left on the track (which would have taken about 10 minutes to transcribe) and it erased it all. 

I almost started to cry. (not really)
I almost started to yell. (yes really)
I considered hiring an assassin for myself. (don't worry, I'm still here. Typing this right now)
I almost picked up the computer and through it across the room. (then I remembered it's worth more than my life)
I asked to leave work 10 minutes early because I couldn't face it anymore. (yes. I really did. It worked)

I made my way to the door, looked outside, and was dismayed. There was precipitation coming down outside. Not rain, not snow, not hail, but some sort of slush. Slush, falling from the sky. Remember the beginning of this post? I was wearing flip-flops, capris, and a fleece jacket. Let me repeat: there was slush falling from the sky. As I walked to the Marriott Center, my toes turned red and lost feeling. It felt as if I was walking on stumps. Always a pleasant feeling.

And through all of this wonderful day, I had THE GREATEST song stuck in my head...Curse you Rebecca Black.

So, there's my hypocrite blog. Sorry for being depressing. Sometimes, I'm just depressing. I try to be happy most of the time, but sometimes, days are just rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment