Tuesday, June 4, 2013

grandpa? what big teeth you have...


Yesterday I was sitting at work when my phone began to ring. I had an incoming call from an unknown number and because I'm always more curious than worried about that type of stuff, I answered. The following conversation happened.


"Hello?"

"...hi. Is this K...."
(it was muffled so I couldn't hear, but it sounded like Caroline)

"Oh, no, this is her sister, Rachel."

"Oh, Rachel! How's it going? I must have dialed your home number on accident."

"Um, no, this is my cell phone. Ha..."
(I'm uneasy at this point because this person obviously knows me and I have no idea who it is)
oh, and you're welcome for the commentary. continuing on...

(A conversation in which I attempt to explain what is happening even though I have no idea what is happening follows. What stranger knows about me and my sister?! I decided to find out.)

"Um, I'm really sorry but who is this?"

"Oh, Rachel, it's grandpa!"

"...Oh my gosh! Grandpa! I'm so sorry, my speaker must be messed up because your voice sounds so different. Are you feeling ok? Do you have a cold or anything?"

"No, I'm ok. That's interesting though. Well, I'm trying to get ahold of your dad. But obviously have the wrong number. Where can I reach him?"

(I proceed to give him my dad's cell phone number, bantering as only grandfathers and granddaughters do)

"When did all of this change? This is a completely different number than I have for him."

"I don't know what you mean. This is what it's always been grandpa. Maybe you're looking at Uncle Mike's number or something?"

"Mike? Wait...how old are you?"

"Grandpa...hahaha I'm 21! You should know that. Come on grandpa."

(silence)

"Is this the Richardson residence?"

"Um....no...." 
(finally starting to realize something's wrong)

"Oh my goodness. I'm not your grandpa."

"Oh."

The conversation awkwardly ended with me almost saying "love you," because in my head I was still talking to my grandpa. After barely avoiding that and wishing each other a happy life full of pinatas, fairy dust, and everything happy, I hung up and proceeded to collapse against the filing cabinet, laughing so hard I couldn't stay upright.

THE END.


peace and pertussis symptoms
curse you immunizations. i am obviously not immune to you.

rrw


And since it's Tuesday, the worst day of the week in my opinion, let's listen to some music.







3 comments:

  1. wow. awkward.
    morrellfairytale.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness. this is the greatest story ever. I'm dying laughing right now hahah

    ReplyDelete