Tuesday, May 21, 2013

tuesday tunes and travels


The song for today's tunes was chosen because if I could make a super artistic and cool video like people do about this past weekend, I would probably put it all to this song. Why? Because we love, love, love the arches. And camping. And each other. And sandal tan lines.

Ok. I'll stop rambling now. Here's the song.

Love, Love, Love by Avalanche City


So now that you have the music to the weekend, how about a few visuals? But first, I'm going to start with a statement of truth: If you hate Utah as many of my confused acquaintances do then you obviously haven't been to Moab or millcreek canyon. or the uintas. or capitol reef, bear lake, cache valley, the cottonwood canyons, or downtown slc. but...i digress. It's impossible to go Moab and not feel like something magical is about to happen-like Indiana Jones being around the next bend in the trail, Stanley Yelnats about to offer you onions and Sploosh, or looking in the mirror and realizing you suddenly have dreadlocks.

This was either my 6th or 14th time visiting and I enjoyed it just as much as if it had been my first. There was no parental guidance because heck, we're adults now! Sure, we forgot the utensils and had to eat all our food with our hands. And yeah, we weren't super great at planning meals so we might have visited the grocery store 4 times. Maybe I ended up throwing things in the back of Sneaky because I just couldn't get everything to fit nicely like my dad does and maybe we got lost trying to find our campsite.

But we ate relatively healthy minus the 9 smores saturday night and rose before 8am every day i even went running. practically died, but still. We drove halfway across the state without one mistake, including a joyful jaunt to Goblin Valley, put our own tent up, including the rain guard and stakes, packed our own lunches, replenished our own water, kept track of our own things, and flirted with boys on the trails, which would have never happened if parents were there well, lindsay and i flirted. I personally taught myself how to put the backpacking propane-powered stove together and cooked meals on it, started the fire and kept it alive for 5 and half hours, and used paper maps to find where we needed to go. Kudos to the parents for teaching me well.

A few themes/moments from the trip were as follows:

-Naked Juice and all the jokes that inevitably follow such a purchase
-Bickering like an old married couple, only to laugh hysterically about it three minutes later
-R Kelly's "World's Greatest," because that is THE BEST song to sing while hiking. case closed.
-Lindsay's new Chacos and the love-hate relationship she had with them
-My love-love relationship with Chris Pine in the new Star Trek show. LOVED IT.
-Mental breakdowns at the grocery store
-Seeing naked, old men on the trails i'm just...not going to get into detail on that one
-Trail games like "20 questions" "rhymin' time" "let's tell a story" and "word for word."
-My backside and Zumba hips? it happened.  don't question.
-Speaking chipmunk
-Arrested Development, Simpsons, and King of the Hill references. None of which I got.
-Bonding over deep questions around the campfire
-Watching the engaged couple interact because they might be the most entertaining people I've ever been around
-Adventure Pants from Slovakia
-Learning Slovak, Tahitian, and French. i remember nothing
-Dance parties under the arches
-The gems of wisdom that you could only experience at a stake conference in Moab


And now I give you a bazillion pictures. Admire our beauty.



come at me bro

no. you don't understand how unbelievable this was.



self-timer. boom.











they're a boy band with girls in it

i'll take that awkward-fifth-wheel-pose-in-the-front any day.

engaged. enlove.



e.p.i.c.











model shots at delicate arch.








peace and Arches National Park

rrw







4 comments:

  1. ok these are awesome pictures. moab looks so cool. i want to go there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! You really should go. DO IT. It's incredible. I saw a ton of road bikers down there too. I was so jealous every time because I can't really think of a cooler place to road bike.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh this makes me want to go to Moab pronto. It also makes me miss roommates and roadtrips and flirting with boys on trails, haha :) Glad to see you are fully enjoying these times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your adventures look so fun! Your blog makes me giggle.

    Samantha
    barefootinthewood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete